In 2011 CASE Belarus was operating the project titled „The support of small privatization in Belarus by facilitating the access of small and medium entreprises to the commercial property “ within Polish Aid 2011 programm. The aim of the project was to enhance development of private sector in Belarus, specifically, small and medium entreprises (SME), by facilitating their access to unused state-owned commercial property objects.
The support of small privatization in Belarus by facilitating the access of small and medium entreprises to the commercial property.
May 2011 – December 2011
It is estimated that in Belarus there are around 12.000 of unused commercial property objects, including 2/3 of objects in municipal property and 1/3 of objects in central state property. Besides, there are more than 9.000 projects registered as incomplete construction. We use the definition of „brownfield“ to discribe the potential of those objects when privatized and placed into exploatation. The project concentrates on domestic investments and does not touch foreign brownfield investments.
The general aim of the project is to enhance development of private sector in Belarus, specifically, small and medium entreprises (SME), by facilitating their access to unused state-owned commercial property objects.
Specific objectives are the following:
i) To calculate total time, define structure and highlight bottlenecks of unused state-owned commercial property privatisation process in Belarus;
ii) To propose policy instruments related to law and administrative pocedures for decision-makers in Belarus in order to facilitate privatisation of commercial property objects and thier placing into operation by private business;
iii) To initiate public dicussion on the topic of easiness of access of SMEs to state-owned commecial property objects.
1. Detailed analysis of domestic brownfield investments in Belarus including experience of other countries in that field and business survey. Four analytical papers were prepared:in Russian: “Access of small and medium enterprises to own real estate in Belarus: study results“, “Sale and registration of state property buildings in Belarus: Problems and recommendations“, “Key issues of the implementation of development works during reconstruction of buildings“, “Small privatization and support of brownfield investment in Poland: possible lessons for Belarus“.
2. Recommendations on increasing the effectiveness of commercial property objects privatisation.
3. Private business in Belarus, local and central government representatives were informed about the outcomes of the project via four policy papers, an analytical report and a conference.
4. Public discussion on the topic of easiness of access of SMEs to commercial property objects were initiated via publications in media, conference and project working papers.
1. For the first time in Belarus, the study of brownfield investments potential was initiated, designed and performed. Wide public and government officials’ attention was drawn to the issue of developing brownfield investment direction.
2. The one-page scheme of process of brownfield investment was prepared indicating time and bottlenecks of the process.
3. Cooperation with government officials was established aiming at further studying of brownfield investments and small scale privatization in Belarus.